I'm a member of the Triratna Buddhist Order. Largely autodidact in the fields of history, linguistics and religion. I have a B.Sc in Chemistry and a post-grad Dipl. in Librarianship. I study Buddhist texts in Pāḷi, Sanskrit and Chinese.
My writing on Buddhism has been published in the Western Buddhist Review, the Journal of Buddhist Ethics, the Journal of the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies and the Journal of Ecumenical Studies. My academic work can be seen on my academia.edu page. I have also written books on mantra, and Buddhist Sanskrit names. My blog, Jayarava's Raves, has more than 400 essays on a variety of subjects.
My current research interests include the history of karma and rebirth arguments in Buddhism, the psychology of religious belief, and the textual history of the Heart Sutra (in 2104 I discovered a previously unknown Heart Sutra Manuscript).
Top network posts
- 12 Did the Buddha speak Pali? Are the suttas his word verbatim?
- 10 Is a starving person justified in stealing food?
- 9 Did the Buddha really say that "life is suffering"?
- 8 What is the oldest text/sutra of the Mahayana tradition?
- 8 Does Mahayana Buddhism discourage attaining enlightenment under the Gautama Buddha Sasana?
- 8 Significance of Bhikkhus uncovering their right shoulder
- 8 How and when does one not invest in others in Buddhism?
- View more network posts →