Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu: "May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all."
Each day 40,000 children die from hunger. The superpowers now have more than 50,000 nuclear warheads, enough to destroy our planet many times. Yet the sunrise is beautiful, and the rose that bloomed this morning along the wall is a miracle. Life is both dreadful and wonderful. To practice meditation is to be in touch with both aspects. Please do not think we must be solemn in order to meditate. In fact, to meditate well, we have to smile a lot.
A human being is like a television set with millions of channels. If we turn the Buddha on, we are the Buddha. If we turn a smile on, we really are the smile. We cannot let just one channel dominate us. We have the seed of everything in us, and we have to seize the situation in our hand, to recover our own sovereignty.
Extracted from "Suffering is not enough", by Thich Nhat Hanh
Member for 5 years, 1 month
27 profile views
Last seen Sep 23 '18 at 13:49
Top network posts
- 14 Explaining non-attachment to the very attached
- 12 Are there pictures/paintings of Nirvana?
- 12 Did the Buddha speak Pali? Are the suttas his word verbatim?
- 12 Has anyone seen any meditation master demonstrating abhinna or supernatural powers?
- 10 Controlling one's sexual thoughts
- 10 Three questions about sensual desire
- 10 Why are Buddhas always Indian, male and human?
- View more network posts →